Beet Tartare with Horseradish and Caraway
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 1/2 pounds medium beets
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh horseradish or drained prepared horseradish
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped capers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Put the beets in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour, or until tender. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and coarsely grate them.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the caraway seeds over moderate heat for 1 minute. Transfer to a work surface to cool, then finely chop.
- In a medium bowl, combine the red onion with the olive oil, horseradish, anchovies, vinegar, capers and caraway seeds. Fold in the beets and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Stir in the chives, parsley and lemon juice and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.