- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 1 1/2 cups
Soft, sweet and earthy, roasted beets make for a vivid pink dip that’s a fun take on hummus. If you are pressed for time, use the preroasted beets available in many supermarket produce sections instead of roasting your own.
Slideshows: Great Beet Recipes
- 12 ounces beets, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a 9-inch-square baking dish, brush the beets with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish tightly with foil, and bake for about 1 hour or until the beets are tender. Let the beets cool, then peel and roughly chop.
- In a food processor, pulse the garlic until minced. Add the chopped beets, tahini, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Process until smooth. Season the beet hummus with salt and pepper and serve.
NotesOne serving (1/4 cup): 92 cal, 7 gm fat, 0.9 gm sat fat, 8 gm carb, 2 gm fiber, 2 gm protein.
Serve WithToasted pita triangles.