Beet, Green Bean and Shallot Salad
- SERVINGS: 8
It took growing beets herself for Lori De Mori to realize just how wonderful they are. If you buy beets with the leaves still on, you'll be assured of their freshness and you can cook the leaves as you would spinach.
- 2 pounds small beets, leaves removed
- 2 pounds tender green beans
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- In a large saucepan, cover the beets with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until tender when pierced, about 45 minutes. Drain in a colander, then rinse in cold water and slip off the skins. Thinly slice the beets crosswise and let cool.
- In a large saucepan, steam the green beans until just tender, about 5 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain well.
- In a large serving bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add the beets, beans, shallots, basil and mint to the bowl and toss to coat, then serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.