- 3 pounds medium beets
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 4 ounces firm cow-milk blue cheese, such as Point Reyes Original Blue, crumbled
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small baking dish, brush the beets with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and roast
the beets for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into 1-inch wedges.
In a large bowl, whisk the 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil with the lemon juice, vinegar, sugar and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Add the beets, toss to coat and let them stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Add the scallions, dill and parsley to the beets and toss well. Transfer the beets to plates, top with the crumbled blue cheese and serve.
The marinated beets can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Top with the cheese just before serving.
Good-quality brown or black bread.