- 1 pound medium beets
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, plus more for garnish
- 1 quart vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan, cover the beets with water. Bring to a boil and cook over moderately high heat until tender, about 1 hour; if necessary, add more water to keep the beets covered. Drain the beets and let cool slightly, then peel and coarsely chop.
- Wipe out the saucepan and heat the olive oil in it. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chopped beets, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes release their juices, about 5 minutes. Add the 1 teaspoon of cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the vegetable stock and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a food processor. Rewarm the soup in the saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with dollops of crème fraîche. Sprinkle with a little cumin and the parsley and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.