- 1 large baking potato (3/4 pound)—peeled, julienned on a mandoline and patted dry
- 2 medium beets (1/2 pound)—peeled, julienned on a mandoline and patted dry
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Sour cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, toss the potato and beets with the flour, thyme, pepper and the 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the eggs and mix well.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil until shimmering. Spoon three 1/2-cup mounds of the latke mixture; press lightly to flatten. Fry over moderate heat, turning once and adding 1 tablespoon of oil, until the latkes are golden and crisp on both sides, about 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining beet mixture and 2 tablespoons of oil. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve with sour cream.