Beet-and-Onion Salad with Mint
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN plus overnight macerating
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
For this chilled salad, beets and onions are macerated in a lemony dressing. When they’re available, young spring onions are especially delicious here.
- 2 pounds medium beets (about 5), scrubbed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt
- 1 small white onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped mint
- In a saucepan, cover the beets with water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, adding more water as needed to keep the beets covered, until they are tender, about 1 hour. Drain the beets and let them cool. Peel the beets and slice into thin wedges.
- In a bowl, whisk the olive oil and hazelnut oil with the lemon juice and honey. Season with salt. Add the beets and onion and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring once or twice. Garnish the salad with mint and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.