- 8 medium beets (2 pounds)
- 4 1/2 ounces fresh goat cheese (3/4 cup), softened
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, plus 3 tablespoons chives cut in 1-inch lengths
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, cover the beets with water and bring to a boil. Simmer the beets over moderate heat until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and let cool. Peel the beets and slice them crosswise 1/4 inch thick; you'll need 64 slices.
- In a small bowl, blend the goat cheese with the minced chives and season with salt and pepper. Arrange 32 beet rounds on a work surface. Dollop a teaspoon of the goat cheese in the center of each round and top with the remaining 32 rounds; press lightly. Transfer the beet ravioli to plates or a platter.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar and soy sauce and stir to dissolve the sugar. Spoon the dressing over the ravioli and drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with the chives and serve.
The cooked beets and seasoned goat cheese can be refrigerated separately overnight.
The tanginess of goat cheese pairs well with Sauvignon Blanc, and particularly with lightly grassy, herbal Sancerre, from France's Loire valley.