Beet & Blue Cheese Salad
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This simple eastern European–style salad has been one of Nicolaus Balla’s favorites ever since he lived in Hungary as a teenager. He marinates sweet roasted beets in a red wine vinaigrette to make them more flavorful before tossing them with scallions, herbs and crumbled blue cheese.
- 3 pounds medium beets
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 4 ounces firm cow-milk blue cheese, such as Point Reyes Original Blue, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small baking dish, brush the beets with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and roast the beets for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into 1-inch wedges.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil with the lemon juice, vinegar, sugar and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Add the beets, toss to coat and let them stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add the scallions, dill and parsley to the beets and toss well. Transfer the beets to plates, top with the crumbled blue cheese and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.