- 2 pounds golden beets (about 10 medium beets), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 8 blood oranges
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon sumac, plus more for sprinkling (see Note)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces feta, crumbled (1/2 cup)
How to make this recipe
Spread the beets in a large steamer basket and steam until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer the beets to a bowl and let cool completely.
Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Quarter the oranges lengthwise, then slice crosswise 1/3 inch thick. Add the oranges to the beets along with the parsley and mint.
In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the vinegar, shallot, honey and 1/8 teaspoon of sumac. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat. Add the feta and toss again. Sprinkle the salad with sumac and serve.
The beets can be steamed one day in advance and refrigerated.
Sumac powder can be purchased at Middle Eastern markets, specialty-food stores or online at kalustyans.com.