© David Malosh
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
For his salad, George Mendes uses fresh horseradish and Gegenbauer cider vinegar, a rare Austrian import. This version calls for jarred horseradish and supermarket apple-cider vinegar.
More Substantial Salads
- 4 large beets (2 1/2 pounds)
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/3 cup salted pistachios, chopped
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a baking dish, lightly drizzle the beets and thyme with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and roast until the beets are tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into 3/4-inch dice.
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar with the mustard. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of oil until emulsified. Add the horseradish and season with salt and pepper; toss with the beets and pistachios. Transfer the beets to a platter, top with the apple and serve.