- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds Bratwurst sausage links
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 Gala apple, cored and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1/2 pounds green cabbage, sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) beer
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
How to make this recipe
In a large heavy pot, heat the butter over medium high heat until hot, then brown the sausages, turning once, about 5 minutes. Transfer the sausages to a platter.
Stir in the onion, apple, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, then cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes.
Place the sausage back in the pot along with the cabbage, beer, Worcestershire, mustard, and caraway and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, then cook, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover pot and simmer until liquid is almost evaporated, about 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with the dill and serve.