- 3/4 pound lean sirloin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
- 6 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a bowl, toss the sirloin, mushrooms and scallions with the canola oil and season with salt. Thread the meat and vegetables onto 8 skewers.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar with the soy sauce, miso paste and sesame oil. Grill the skewers over high heat, turning, until the meat is nearly cooked, about 2 minutes. Brush the skewers with the glaze and grill until they are lightly charred and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer the yakitori to plates, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve.
Sake: Fruity, earthy, mushroom-scented Ama No To Heaven's Door Tokubetsu Junmai.
Pairing by Rick Smith and Hiroko Furukawa of New York City's East Village sake shop Sakaya (sakayanyc.com).