© Chas Plummer. Food styling by Alison Attenborough.
Beef with Red and Yellow Bell Peppers
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef eye of round, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 2-inch squares
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch squares
- 1 teaspoon Chinese chili-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil
- In a bowl, mix the garlic, soy sauce, sherry, sugar, pepper and 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add the meat and coat well. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix the stock, oyster sauce and cornstarch. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil. Add half of the meat and cook over high heat until browned on 1 side, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil and the remaining meat.
- Add the onion and the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Stir the stock mixture, then pour it into the skillet and simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until it starts to thicken, about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the skillet and simmer until heated through. Remove from the heat. Stir in the chili-garlic paste, sesame oil and basil and serve
NotesOne Serving 271 calories, 11.5 gm total fat, 2.2 gm saturated fat, 11 gm carb.
Serve WithSteamed rice.