- 1/2 cup walnuts (about 2 ounces)
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1 serrano or other small hot chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
How to make this recipe
- Preheat a convection toaster oven to 450°. On a small pie plate, toast the walnuts for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly browned. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop the nuts.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and roast in the toaster oven for about 35 minutes for medium rare, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the meat registers 125° to 130°. Transfer to a work surface, cover loosely with foil and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the red peppers, walnuts, basil, chile, olive oil, lemon juice and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Carve the roast into thick slices and serve with the red pepper sauce.
Serve a mildly tannic Merlot with this rich meat disheither a Bordeaux blend from France or South Africa.