- 1/2 cup walnuts (about 2 ounces)
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1 serrano or other small hot chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
How to make this recipe
Preheat a convection toaster oven to 450°. On a small pie plate, toast the walnuts for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly browned. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop the nuts.
Season the beef with salt and pepper and roast in the toaster oven for about 35 minutes for medium rare, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the meat registers 125° to 130°. Transfer to a work surface, cover loosely with foil and let stand for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the red peppers, walnuts, basil, chile, olive oil, lemon juice and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Carve the roast into thick slices and serve with the red pepper sauce.
Serve a mildly tannic Merlot with this rich meat disheither a Bordeaux blend from France or South Africa.