- Six 7-ounce beef tenderloin steaks
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 7 ounces imported Fontina cheese, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
How to make this recipe
Light a grill. Brush the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, about 15 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a platter and let stand for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter in the wine. Add the Fontina and cook over low heat, stirring, until the sauce is piping hot. Transfer the steaks to warmed plates, top with the Fontina sauce and serve.
A big, dense Italian red, such as one of the new IGT wines made from Cabernet Sauvignon, will stand up to the grilled tenderloin and tangy, rich cheese.