- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak (about 1 1/4 inches thick)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 8 piquillo peppers (Spanish roasted peppers), seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
How to make this recipe
In a bowl, mix the paprika, brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pat the mixture all over the meat.
In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic, shallots and capers and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sage and cook for 1 minute. Add the piquillos, mustard and Worcestershire; simmer over moderate heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the steak over moderately high heat for about 12 minutes, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 130° for medium-rare meat. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve with the piquillo-pepper sauce.
Smooth, spicy Malbec.