- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 beef teres majors (about 1 pound each), cut into 8 medallions
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 fresh morels, rinsed, or dried morels—soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes, drained and rinsed
- 4 large scallions, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup Madeira
- 3/4 cup mushroom stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each beef medallion and secure with toothpicks. Season with salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the medallions and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, 2 minutes; turn and cook for 1 minute. Add the morels and scallions and cook over moderate heat until the scallions are tender. Transfer the meat to a plate. Cook the vegetables for 2 minutes more, add the Madeira and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the meat and stock and simmer over moderately low heat, turning, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the meat registers 140°, about 3 minutes. Transfer the meat to plates; discard the toothpicks. Remove the skillet from the heat and swirl in the butter. Season with salt and pepper, spoon over the meat and serve.
Tart cherry-inflected, earthy Barolo.
Contributed By Photo © John Kernick Published May 2012