Beef Kefta with Coriander and Cumin
- TOTAL TIME: 55 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Moroccan cooks like to knead their finely ground and spiced beef or lamb so that their kefta (meatballs or patties) will be smooth.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Homemade Harissa
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef with the coriander, cumin, salt, paprika and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Form the meat into sixteen 3-inch patties.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the kefta in 2 batches over moderately high heat, turning once, until just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve warm or at room temperature with the Homemade Harissa.
Only a simple, direct, fruity rosé with an edge of sweetness can stand up to the sweet and hot spices here. Try one from Australia or Chile.