- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup frozen petite peas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
- In a large deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute longer. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Drain off any fat.
- Add the coriander, cumin, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of the salt to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the potatoes, yogurt, and milk. Bring just to a boil. Cover the pan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- 3.Stir in the peas and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer until the peas are just done, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and the cilantro.
Whenever there are a lot of elements in a dish, it is best to keep the wine simple. Here, an uncomplicated but fruity Beaujolais will be charming.