- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced roasted red peppers
- 1 quart low-sodium beef broth
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces wide egg noodles (2 cups)
- Crème fraîche or sour cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened. Add the paprika and caraway and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat, until no longer pink, 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes with their juices, red peppers, broth and 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to boil. Cover partially and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the noodles until al dente. Drain.
- Add the noodles to the soup and cook for 2 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with a dollop of crème fraîche.
Rich, spicy Italian red, like Aglianico.