- 2 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup finely diced Provolone cheese (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/2 cup for brushing
- 3 1/4 pounds beef eye of round, cut crosswise into 36 slices (1 1/2 ounces
each) and pounded into 6-by-4-inch rectangles
- 3 lemons, halved lengthwise, then thickly sliced crosswise
- 1 baguette, top and bottom crusts cut off, sliced 1 inch thick
- Grilled Lemon Vinaigrette
In a bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Mix in 1/3 cup of the oil.
Set a slice of beef on a work surface with the long side facing you. Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of the filling along the bottom third of the slice. Roll the meat around the filling into a tight log, folding in the sides as you go. Repeat with the remaining meat and filling to make 36 rolls.
On each of twelve 12-inch skewers, thread 1 lemon slice, 1 bread slice, 1 lemon slice and 1 beef roll; repeat 2 more times. Generously brush the skewers with the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Grill or broil the skewers until the bread is crusty brown and the meat is pink in the center, about 2 minutes per side. Serve hot with the Grilled Lemon Vinaigrette.