- 4 cornichons, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons drained capers
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 3/4 pound ground beef, preferably 80 percent lean
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 English muffins, split
- 4 thin slices of aged cheddar, preferably farmhouse
- Tomato slices and thinly sliced English cucumber, for garnish (optional)
- Light a grill. In a mini food processor, pulse the cornichons with the parsley leaves, capers and garlic clove until finely chopped. Add the mayonnaise and mustard and pulse until blended.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the ground beef with the ground lamb and season generously with salt and pepper. Form the meat mixture into four 1-inch-thick patties and make a slight indentation in the center of each one with your thumb. Season the burgers with salt and pepper.
- Grill the English muffin halves cut side down until toasted, about 1 minute. Flip the muffins and grill for 30 seconds longer. Transfer to a work surface cut side up and spread the bottom halves of the muffins with the caper remoulade.
- Grill the burgers over high heat until they are nicely charred on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip the burgers, top them with the cheddar cheese and grill until cooked to medium and the cheese melts, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer the burgers to the toasted English muffins and let rest for 5 minutes. Top the burgers with the tomatoes and cucumbers if desired, close the burgers and serve.
Marnie's original pairing choice, a Chilean Cabernet, overpowered the burger and the remoulade. So she swapped in a Malbec, which "pulls out the lamb's great flavors," she said. Sam Calagione's selection, Brooklyn Brewery Brown Ale, was even more successful. Made from roasted malt, it has deep caramel and coffee flavors "that are great with the charred burger," Sam said. Marnie agreed. "Plus the carbonation is really refreshing here," she said.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.