- 10 ounces lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
How to make this recipe
In a bowl, combine the ground beef, coconut, soy sauce, molasses, ginger, lime juice, salt, turmeric, pepper and the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Mix with your hands to combine the ingredients.
With lightly moistened hands, roll 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture around a bamboo skewer into a 6-inch long strip about 1/3 inch thick. Repeat until all of the meat mixture is used up.
Light a grill. When the fire is hot, oil the grill. Arrange the skewers at the edge of the grill (so they don't burn) and cook the sates, turning often, until the meat is lightly charred and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve at once.
The sates can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight.
Geary's London-Style Porter, from Maine, stands up to the highly seasoned beef without being too heavy.