Bean Sprout Chat
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Tina Ujlaki loves the Indian mix of flavors and textures called chat. Chat (sometimes spelled chaat) is a savory Indian snack that combines lots of flavors and textures. Chats vary infinitely, but in general, they are made with soft Indian bread, potatoes or beans; intensely flavorful chutneys and spices; tangy yogurt; and crunchy fried chickpea flour noodles called sev.
About the ingredients: Tamarind chutney is a sweet, tangy condiment made from the fruit of the tropical tamarind tree. The sticky pulp is strained to remove the seeds and stringy fibers, then sweetened and enhanced with ginger, chiles and other spices. Chat masala is a spicy seasoning blend that flavors a host of Indian snack foods and salads. It usually includesblack salt, which provides smokiness, and amchoor (powdered dried green mango), for tang. Sev are mild, fragrant or fiery snacks made from broken fried chickpea-flour noodles.
All these ingredients are available at Kalustyan's (kalustyans.com).
- 1 baking potato (1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cups sprouted mung beans
- 1/4 cup prepared tamarind chutney
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 Granny Smith apple—peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons green mango, cut into 1/4-inch dice (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups sev, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small saucepan of boiling water, cook the potato until just tender, about 4 minutes; drain. In a small saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the mung beans for 3 minutes; drain and cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chutney, lime juice, yogurt and olive oil. Stir in the chives, cumin, chat masala and sugar. Fold in the mung beans, apple, onion, green mango, potato and 1 1/2 cups of the sev. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle more sev on top of the chat and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.