BBQ Planked Salmon
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN plus 1 hr 30 min marinating and soaking
- SERVINGS: 4
Elizabeth Karmel grew up eating pulled pork in North Carolina. Now the creator of the consulting company Girls at the Grill and a competitor on the Swine and Dine BBQ circuit team, she has just published her first book, Taming the Flame: Secrets for Hot-and-Quick Grilling and Low-and-Slow BBQ. In it, she explains the benefits of grilling fish on a wood plank (this method prevents scorching and sticking) and shares her recipe for salmon in a fragrant blend of juniper berries and pink peppercorns.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 3 bay leaves, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed
- One 1 3/4- to 2-pound center-cut salmon fillet with skin
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- Soak a 16-by-8-inch cedar plank in water for 1 hour. In a large, shallow baking dish, combine the wine with the apple juice, salt, bay leaves, peppercorns and juniper berries. Add the salmon, turn to coat and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Light a grill. When the coals of a charcoal grill are covered with a light gray ash, push them to the sides and set a disposable drip pan in the center. If using a gas grill, turn off the center burner. Remove the salmon from the marinade, brush off the seasonings and lay the fish skin side down on the soaked cedar plank. Brush the salmon with olive oil and set the plank in the center of the cooking grate for indirect grilling. Cover and grill the salmon until just cooked, about 30 minutes; brush the salmon with the sauce during the last 10 minutes of grilling. Serve the salmon directly from the plank.
Vineyard experts aren't certain of the origins of the Argentine grape Bonarda. What they do know is that Bonarda makes fruity, low-tannin wines that, like Pinot Noir, are good with rich fish such as salmon.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.