- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, trimmed
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1 medium head of napa cabbage, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large bowl, whisk together the ketchup, molasses, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. Reserve 1/2 cup of the sauce for serving; add the chicken breasts to the remaining sauce in the bowl and turn to coat. Set aside.
In a large bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Add the onion and chives, then add the cabbage and toss well. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss.
Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Grill or broil the chicken for about 10 minutes, turning once, until nicely charred and cooked through.
Slice the chicken crosswise on the diagonal. Spoon some of the reserved barbecue sauce on the bottoms of the buns and arrange the chicken on top. Spoon the remaining sauce over the chicken and mound the napa slaw on top.