Batter-Fried Cod with Minted Pea Puree
- SERVINGS: 4
The yeast in the batter makes the fried fish especially light and crisp.
Amazing Seafood Recipes
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Four 6-ounce cod fillets
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Minted Pea Puree, for serving
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk until bubbles appear around the edge. Remove from the heat and add the yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup of the flour with the cornstarch, soy sauce, baking powder, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir in the yeast mixture. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°. Season the cod with salt and black pepper. Dredge 1 fillet at a time in flour, tapping off the excess. Coat the fish in the batter and fry in batches until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve at once. Pass the Minted Pea Puree separately.