© David Tsay
Basque Steak Fries
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Gerald Hirigoyen tosses wedges of fried Yukon Gold potatoes with plenty of Piment d'Espelette, a smoky Basque chile powder, to give the crispy potatoes a slightly spicy kick.
More Potato Recipes
- Eight 6-ounce Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch-thick steak fries
- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
- Piment d'Espelette or hot paprika
- In a pot, cover the potatoes with cold water. Add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and cook the potatoes until nearly cooked through, 6 minutes. Drain, pat dry and let cool. Wipe out the pot.
- In the same pot, heat the oil to 375°. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Working in batches, fry the potatoes until deeply golden, 7 minutes per batch. Drain the potatoes on the paper towels. Toss the fries with salt and Piment d'Espelette; serve.
NotesThe cost of the recipe is based on the amount of each ingredient used.