Basque Chocolate Cake with Cherry Preserves
- SERVINGS: 8 TO 10 SERVINGS
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup black cherry preserves
- Crème fraîche, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the butter and chocolate. Melt over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until smooth, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar at high speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Add the flour and beat at low speed just until combined. Fold in one-third of the melted chocolate, then gently fold in the remaining chocolate; do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean. Invert the cake onto a rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, warm the cherry preserves over moderate heat. Cut the cake into wedges and serve with the cherry preserves and crème fraîche.
NotesIt's easier to melt chocolate when it's cut or broken into small pieces. This also helps prevent the chocolate from scorching, since the smaller chunks melt faster than one large piece. Cut the butter into small pieces, too, before melting it with the chocolate.