- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground green cardamom
- Big pinch of saffron threads
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, combine 1 tablespoon of the butter with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the rice, cardamom, saffron, salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the rice is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk the stock with 1 1/2 cups of water and the yogurt. Add to the skillet along with the chickpeas and raisins and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil along the edge of the skillet and cook uncovered over moderate heat until the bottom is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Run a rubber spatula around the edge and underneath to loosen the rice, then invert onto a serving plate. Serve with lemon wedges.