Basic Tomato Sauce from Fresh Tomatoes
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 6 pints
- 10 pounds tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 large basil sprigs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot, combine the tomatoes with the water, cover and cook over moderate heat until the tomatoes are softened and soupy, about 15 minutes. Set a food mill over a very large bowl. Add the tomatoes and puree them into the bowl. You should have about 18 cups.
- Wipe out the pot and heat the olive oil in it. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over very low heat until softened, about 1 minute. Add the tomato puree, basil and sugar and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat until the sauce is thickened and reduced to 12 cups, about 2 hours. Discard the basil. Let the sauce cool, then pour into six 1-pint plastic containers and freeze for up to 4 months.