- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or ghee)
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- Sea salt
- 3 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Seeds from 4 cardamom pods
- One 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
How to make this recipe
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil or ghee over medium high heat. Add the onion and 1 teaspoon of sea salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are medium brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add all of the spices and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any browned bits. Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan, reduce the heat to low and slowly simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and begins to splatter.
- Remove from the heat and allow the curry to cool for a couple minutes, then stir in the heavy cream, if using. Season it with sea salt to taste.
Basmati rice and naan if desired.