- 1 cup raw long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- One-inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- Sliced green onion, for garnish
- Sesame seed oil or soy sauce (optional)
How to make this recipe
In large pot add stock, rice, salt and ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or stick at the bottom.
Simmer the congee for about 1 hour or until the congee is thickened and creamy. Add salt to taste. Serve the congee hot.
As the congee cools, it will become thicker. Add additional stock or water if necessary to make the congee to your desired thickness.
Add sliced green onion and optional sesame oil or soy sauce to taste.