© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Basic Chicken Stock
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: Makes 1 quart
Making your own chicken stock is so easy you'll never use the store-bought variety again.
Slideshow: Homemade Stock Recipes
- 1 pound chicken bones
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into large pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic
- 3-4 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
- 3-4 whole peppercorns
- 8 cups water
- Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot. Over high heat, bring the stock to a gentle simmer and then reduce heat to low.
- Gently simmer for about 4 hours, occasionally skimming as necessary.
- After the stock has reached your desired concentration, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Discard the solids and pour the stock into heat-proof container.
- Place stock in an ice bath to quickly cool to below 40°. Remove from bath and place the stock in the refrigerator and cool overnight. Skim off the excess fat. Use within 2 to 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months.