- One 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, quartered
- 2 medium white onions, quartered
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 6 black peppercorns
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
In a large stockpot, combine 4 quarts of water with all of the ingredients except the salt. Simmer over very low heat, partially covered, for 8 hours; skim the surface of the stock as necessary.
Strain the stock into a large bowl and season with salt; discard the solids. Let the stock cool, then refrigerate. Skim the fat from the surface before using.
The stock can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 1 month.