Barley Risotto with Garlicky Mushrooms
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large shallots, minced (1/2 cup)
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups pearled barley (10 ounces)
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups hot beef broth mixed with 2 cups of hot water
- Snipped chives, for garnish
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1 ounce), for garnish
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the hot beef broth mixture to the barley and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the hot broth, 1 cup at a time and stirring frequently, until the barley is al dente, about 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Garnish with chives and the cheese shavings and serve.
The risotto can be refrigerated overnight. Rewarm before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.