Barley-and-Spinach Salad with Tofu Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 cup pearl barley (7 1/2 ounces)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered (4 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 7 ounces baby spinach (8 cups)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 7 ounces firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- In a medium saucepan, combine the barley, stock, thyme and half of the garlic. Add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the barley is tender, 25 minutes. Discard the thyme. Drain the barley and transfer to a large bowl; cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes longer. Scrape the mushrooms into the barley and toss. Add the spinach, basil and mint, but do not stir.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet. Add the remaining garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened. Add the vinegar, lemon juice and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Cook until slightly thickened, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook until heated through. Stir in the tofu and season with salt and pepper. Scrape the dressing over the salad and toss. Serve warm.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.