- 1 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced chives
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, cover the barley with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over low heat until just tender, about 45 minutes; add more water as needed to keep the barley covered. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the rice with 1 1/2 cups of room-temperature water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over low heat for 14 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the barley and rice and toss gently to mix. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sesame oil and season with salt. Fold in the chives. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Contributed By Marja Vongerichten and Jean-Georges Vongerichten Photo © Kathrin Koschitzki Published December 2011