- 1 cup barley (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Scant 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1/3 cup light vegetable oil
- Bring 9 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the barley and simmer over low heat until tender, about 1 hour. Drain, rinse well with cold water, then drain again and transfer to a large bowl.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a colander and rinse; add to the barley in the bowl. Add the lima beans and corn kernels to the boiling water and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and add to the barley along with the onion. Season the salad with salt and pepper.
- In a small dry skillet, toast the cumin over low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add the lemon juice and mustard. Slowly stir in the oil until emulsified and season with salt and pepper. Toss the dressing with the barley salad, cover and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Let return to room temperature, then season with salt and pepper and toss before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.