Barbecued Spiced Shrimp with Tomato Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1/3 cup packed basil leaves, plus extra leaves for garnish
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 24 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large yellow heirloom tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- In a blender, puree the 1/3 cup of basil leaves with the olive oil until smooth. Season the oil with salt and black pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl, mix the sweet smoked paprika with the pure ancho chile powder, light brown sugar, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Brush the shrimp with the canola oil and season all over with the spice mixture. Grill the shrimp over moderately high heat, turning once, until they are lightly charred and cooked through, about 4 minutes total.
- Arrange the tomato and onion slices on a platter and drizzle with the basil oil. Top with the shrimp, garnish with the remaining basil leaves and serve.
Shrimp dishes tend to go best with white wines, but the potent spices here are more suited to a redso split the difference and pour a rosé. Dry rosés from California and South America are often more full-bodied than those from France, making them ideal for this recipe.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.