Barbecued Salmon Sandwiches
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This barbecue sauce, made with ketchup, cider vinegar, Worcestershire and canned chipotles in adobo, comes together quickly in a blender. The chipotles give the sauce an appealing smokiness.
More Grilled Salmon Recipes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Four 5-ounce skin-on salmon fillets
- 4 hot dog buns, preferably brioche-style or split-top
- Light a grill. In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the ketchup, chipotle, Worcestershire, dry mustard and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar and cook for 1 minute, until warm. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Scrape the barbecue sauce into a bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add the coleslaw mix, cilantro and scallion and toss well.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper and grill skin side up over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Turn and brush with the barbecue sauce. Grill until the skin is crisp and the fish is just cooked through, 4 minutes longer. Toast the buns on the grill.
- Transfer the salmon to the buns and top with the slaw. Serve, passing the remaining barbecue sauce at the table.
Spicy cru Beaujolais, such as a Juliénas.