© Jody Horton
Barbecued Lamb Shoulder Chops
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Slideshow: More Lamb Recipes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 lamb shoulder-blade chops, 3/4 inch thick (about 10 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup hickory, pecan or oak chips
- In a mini food processor, combine the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, oregano and ginger and pulse until finely ground. Add the olive oil, soy sauce, mustard and lemon juice and process to a smooth paste. Spread the paste all over the lamb and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Light a gas grill. Wrap the wood chips in heavy-duty foil and pierce the packet all over with a skewer. Add the packet to the grill. Cover and let the chips begin to smoke, about 5 minutes.
- Grill the lamb, covered, over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until the chops are lightly charred in spots and tender, about 18 minutes. Transfer the lamb chops to a platter and serve.
Make Ahead The seasoning paste can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Wine Lush Malbec: 2007 Vineyard Selected by Ernesto Catena Padrillos.
Beer Peppery IPA: Lagunitas IPA.