- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 3/4 pound ground chuck
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes—halved, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Push the onion to one side of the skillet and add the ground sirloin and chuck. Cook, stirring, until browned, about 12 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup, barbecue sauce, tomato paste and vinegar. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the sauce is thick, 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler. Set the bun bottoms on serving plates. Lay the cheese on the bun tops and broil until melted, about 1 minute. Spoon the Sloppy Joe mixture on the buns; serve.