- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 3/4 pound ground chuck
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes—halved, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Push the onion to one side of the skillet and add the ground sirloin and chuck. Cook, stirring, until browned, about 12 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup, barbecue sauce, tomato paste and vinegar. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the sauce is thick, 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat the broiler. Set the bun bottoms on serving plates. Lay the cheese on the bun tops and broil until melted, about 1 minute. Spoon the Sloppy Joe mixture on the buns; serve.