- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 24 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- 1/4 cup plus 2 talespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Hass avocados—pitted, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 romaine hearts (10 ounces), chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
Make the shrimp
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the wine and thyme and cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and broth and cook until reduced to ½ cup, about 15 minutes.
Make the shrimp
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, turning once, for 2 minutes total. Stir in the sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the butter until incorporated and season with salt. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and garnish with scallions.
Meanwhile, make the salad
In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice. Add the avocados, romaine, fennel and radishes, season with salt and toss to coat. Serve the salad with the shrimp.
Fruit-forward, citrusy Chenin Blanc.