Barbecue Chicken Tacos with Cabbage and Queso
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 8 small tacos
Make the chicken for these tacos ahead of time, for a quick and easy dinner later in the week.
- Olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup shredded queso fresco
- In a medium cast-iron casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, turning once, until nicely browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add the chile powder, cumin and 1 cup of water; season with salt and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the chicken pulls easily with a fork, about 1 hour. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board or bowl and shred, then return to the cooking liquid; stir in the barbecue sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the vinegar and honey. Add the cabbage, season with salt and toss.
- On a microwave-safe plate, microwave the tortillas at high power for 30 seconds, until soft and pliable. Serve the chicken with the tortillas, slaw and queso fresco.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.