- Olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup shredded queso fresco
- In a medium cast-iron casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, turning once, until nicely browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add the chile powder, cumin and 1 cup of water; season with salt and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the chicken pulls easily with a fork, about 1 hour. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board or bowl and shred, then return to the cooking liquid; stir in the barbecue sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the vinegar and honey. Add the cabbage, season with salt and toss.
- On a microwave-safe plate, microwave the tortillas at high power for 30 seconds, until soft and pliable. Serve the chicken with the tortillas, slaw and queso fresco.
The shredded chicken can be refrigerated in the sauce for up to 3 days; reheat gently.