- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup rolled oats, not instant or quick cooking
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the griddle
- Pure maple syrup and applesauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk with the oats and refrigerate overnight. Whisk in the eggs, then stir in the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Fold in the melted butter.
- Heat a large griddle. Brush it with butter and ladle in about 2 tablespoons of the batter for each pancake. Cook over moderately high heat until the pancakes are browned on the bottom and small bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the second side, about 1 minute longer. Transfer the pancakes to plates and repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter as necessary. Serve the pancakes with butter, maple syrup and applesauce.