- 4 ounces spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- One 2-ounce tin anchovies packed in oil, anchovies finely chopped and oil reserved
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic plus 2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced Thai bird chile with seeds
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole pink peppercorns
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves, plus small whole leaves for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
In a wok, heat the olive oil. Add the anchovies, anchovy oil, minced garlic, chile and bell pepper and stir-fry over moderately high heat until the bell pepper is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the pasta, reserved pasta water, oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar and cook, tossing, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the sliced garlic, pink peppercorns, white pepper and torn basil leaves and toss. Serve topped with whole basil leaves.