Banger & Egg Sandwiches
- SERVINGS: 4
J-Bar · Aspen, Colorado
Members and fans of Aspen's rugby team—fixtures at J-Bar—have a reputation for badgering the chef to put English dishes on the menu. They insisted on bangers (British slang for sausages) and eggs, which Christopher Keating serves on toast with sharp cheddar.
- 8 slices of potato bread, toasted
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 country sausages, such as fresh breakfast sausages
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil. Add the sausages and cook over moderate heat, turning, until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Let cool slightly. Halve the sausages lengthwise and cook cut side down over moderate heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper, add them to the skillet cut side down and cook over high heat until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the tomatoes to a plate.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in each of 2 skillets. Fry 4 eggs in each skillet over moderate heat until slightly runny in the center, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set 2 eggs on each of 4 toast slices. Top with the cheese and sausages, sprinkle with the parsley and close the sandwiches. Serve with the tomatoes.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.